Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A "new" 1952 Bowman card

This was an exciting NFL draft for me. Besides waiting anxiously to see with which team home-town boy Austen Lane would land, and which team would take Tim Tebow and when, I was watching the selections to see where Dexter McCluster was going in the NFL.

I had the pleasure of watching McCluster in person at Ole Miss against Nat'l Champ Florida in 2007. He is a playmaker, though he is decidedly undersize for the NFL. I was hoping that the Green Bay Packers would realize that McCluster could fill a number of their needs, principally as a "change-up" running back and as a punt returner. I don't really follow any other NFL teams, although I have some leftover affection for the N.Y. Jets from my days as a Namath fan, and I'll always watch the Giants with their Ole Miss alumn quarterback. Now I have a reason to tune in the Chiefs when they're on TV.

I decided to go with a 1952 Bowman style card, instead of my usual 1955-Topps All-American, because I found such a great artwork picture of McCluster on the cover of a video game.

Unfortunately, the huge EA Sports logo on the game box covered too much of the player's right side just below the football, so I wasn't able to opt for a vertical format, or plkace the name banner/logo desigjn elements below the picture, as is more commonly seen on '52 Bowmans. Still, I like the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.