Thursday, March 10, 2011

Another custom Cooper card

A couple of days ago I mentioned that I would be working up a Cecil Cooper card from his Red Sox days.

Here it is . . . in the style of 1971 Topps, a year prior to his "real" rookie card.

I notice that Topps never made a 1973 Cecil Cooper card, but I'm not going to tackle that.

Did you know that in the November, 1970, Rule 5 minor league draft that the St. Louis Cardinals selected Cooper? They returned him to the Red Sox before the 1971 season.




ADDENDUM (April 14, 2011):
Illinois reader Eric Loy has just directed me to a Topps eBay auction offering a photo of Coop in a St. Louis Cardinals uniform.

It surprises me that Topps would even have shot such a photo, since Cooper was only with the Cardinals from the November minor league draft until April 5, 1971, when he was returned to the Red Sox.

If the Topps photo was really appealing, I'd consider making a Coop-as-Cardinal custom card in the 1971 style, but the photo just doesn't do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.