Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where I was 10 years ago

The 10th anniversary of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, finds me in the same place I was 10 years ago.


On Sept. 11, 2001, I was in a hospital bed amid a series of debridement surgeries that would eventually number 17 on my right ankle, which had become infected with a staph germ that eventually destroyed much of the joint's structure.


Not knowing what might be coming following the kamikaze attacks, and being 65 miles from home, I checked myself out of the hospital.


Today, I am in a hospital in Milwaukee, undergoing a complicated right knee replacement. That joint was also staph-infected back in 2001, and since then has deteriorated to the point where I either get an artificial hinge or get into a wheelchair.


To maintain the continuity of this blog, I've "worked ahead" to provide new entries every other day through at least Sept. 25.


If more than a couple of days passes after that date without anything new appearing in this space, you'll know something went very wrong.


I expect, though, to be back on duty by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.