Monday, June 30, 2014

1982 Topps Traded Tony Gwynn custom card . . . but I digress




I really hadn't intended to create this 1982 Topps Traded-style Tony Gwynn custom card.

There are already a lot of other cards on my to-do list that I've been trying to find time for.

However, Gwynn's recent death got me to poking around his career and cards and it occurred to me that -- at least theoretically -- Topps could have included Gwynn in its Traded set.

I don't know what Topps' cutoff for inclusion was, but I did note that the back of Cal Ripken's 82TT card mentions his April 5, 1982, home run. While I expect Gwynn's July 19 call-up from Hawaii was too late to make the set's deadline, I gave myself the benefit of the doubt.

I see that I'm not the only custom card guy who's done a 1982 Topps-style Tony Gwynn card. Most of the other creators don't do the card backs, so I can't tell if their are the Traded format.

Using that logic, a 1981 Traded Cal Ripken, Jr. card is possible in my universe. So is an 81TT of Ryne Sandberg as a Phillie, or an 82TT Don Mattingly. I'm going to try to stick to working on customs that appeal more to my personal interest in players and cards of pre-1980 vintage, but you never know when the urge might strike to try something more modern.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.