Wednesday, March 11, 2015

1972 Topps-style Spahn custom





I really don't have any backstory for my latest, and likely penultimate, Warren Spahn custom card. There was a great photo available and it worked out well in the 1972 Topps style.

Spahn's years (1972-73) as pitching coach for the Cleveland Indians were called "unhappy" by his biographer Jim Kaplan in the SABR Baseball Biography Project  http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/16b7b87d .

I'm sure if I ever get around the reading my 1972 Sporting News microfilm I'll find out more about that characterization. Perhaps I'll update this post at that time.

I've got one more Warren Spahn card in the works; rather than a design-from-scratch custom, it's a do-over of Topps' 1965 card. It should be done in a day or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, criticism, additional information, questions, etc., are welcome . . . as long as they are germane to the original topic. All comments are moderated before they are allowed to appear and spam comments are deleted before they ever appear. No "Anonymous User" comments are allowed.